Make your own free website on
Histon v Farnborough Town

Nationwide South

Saturday 7th October 2006

Score: Histon 2 Farnborough T 1

Histon manager, Steve Fallon, was looking to get back to winning ways when bottom side Farnborough Town came to the Glassworld, the Hampshire side have been troubled by off-the- field matters which saw them start the season on -10, but they have started the season with a mix of results which has seen them clear the minus 10.

Having lost the week before in the F.A Cup, Histon changed the starting line up, with defender Steve Jackman, midfielder Antonio Murray and forward Nathaniel Knight-Percival all being dropped down to the bench, with Matty Haniver, Robbie Nightingale and Jamie Barker all coming in.

The game started brightly for both sides with the home side pushing Farnborough on the back foot, the first sight of goal came from midfielder John Kennedy, whose shot fizzed over the cross bar, JK shoots over Town’s first sight on goal came from a deep cross from the left hand side, Michael Charles was unmarked at the far post, but his diving header found the side netting.

Farnborough came more into the game, and the home side had keeper Lance Key to thank for a number of fine saves, the first came from Russell Pym who watched perfectly as the ball came down, Pym's crisp volley saw Key at full stretch to push the ball away for a corner kick.

Histon forced a number of corners, but failed to test Kevin Scriven in the Town goal. From one of these corners Town broke quickly after Scriven spotted a man free out on the wing, the ball was passed forward to Bradley Garness, whose pace caused problems all afternoon. Garness beared down on goal, only for Key to save from yet another corner kick.

Garness was again at the heart of the problems for the home side, errors in the back line, allowed Garness to round kick, but the shot was well over the bar, in the next attack Garness once more saw Key save well for yet another corner as the half time break neared with the score line goaless.

The second half started much the same as the first but with 55 minutes on the clock the home side made the break, a throw in from Matty Haniver was picked up by John Kennedy, as the Farnborough players let Kennedy run, the midfielder picked out Jamie Barker ghosting through the defence to pick up the ball, with Scriven coming out to narrow the angle Barker slipped the ball passed the keeper.

The goal seemed to add some fire in to the game, with a number of heavy tackles from both sides. On 78 minutes the goal that Farnborough had threatened all afternoon finally came, the ball was worked out to Matt Pattison on the edge of the area, his shot was well saved low down but the rebound wasn't dealt with by the home side and first to react was Garness who back heeled the ball into the net.

With time runing out it looked like the points were going to be shared, but Histon won a throw in, midfielder Ada Cambridge put the ball into the danger area for the last time, Langston flicks on the throw in jumping above everyone was defender Matt Langston whose flicked on header found the bottom corner of the net to give the points to Histon, for the first win in three games.

Histon : Key, Haniver, Okay, Mitchell-King, Langston, A Cambridge, J Kennedy, Nightingale, Bloomfield (N Kennedy 67), I Cambridge (Murray 83), Barker

Subs not used : Jackman, Knight-Percival, Roberts

Farnborough Town : Scriven, Pestle, Hankin, Townsend, Whisken, Laidler, Pattison, Pym, Hodgson, Charles, Garness

Subs not used : Smith, Gasson, Alimi, Venter

Referee : Mr L Betts (Gt Yarmouth)

Goals : Histon: Barker (56), Langston (88) Farnborough Town: Garness (79)

Att : 535