Histon V Havant & Waterlooville

Nationwide Conference - South

25th February 2006

The Glassworld Stadium, Bridge Road, Histon

Histon recalled striker Neil Kennedy to replace recent signed Danny Bloomfield, who was suffering from illness, however Jamie Barker was forced to sit out this fixture due to the cut on his knee failing to heel properly.

The Hawks, making there first trip to Bridge Road, sat in 4th place in the league table, earlier in the season Histon went down 3 – 1, a win for the Hawks would help cement a Play Off place and keep the pressure on the sides around them.

The recall of Kennedy meant the old school front line of Kennedy and Ian Cambridge, with Nathaniel Knight-Percival being recalled in place of Barker.

A bright start for the home side saw them race into a 2 – 0 lead in the opening 6 minutes, and it was Kennedy who had a hand in his sides first finding space out on the right as he cut the ball into the area, it looked to have been pulled back to much, but Robbie Nightingale made up ground to shot past Gareth Howells in the Hawks goal.

It was vintage Histon, playing the ball to feet and moving it quickly around the pitch, moments later, the lead was doubled, this time Erkan Okay freed Kennedy, once more Kennedy put the ball into the area, and once more it was Nightingale who scored passed Howells.

On 12 minutes Fitzroy Simpson saw his effort saved well by Lance Key, in a game that flowed from end to end, despite the bitterly cold strong wind, with 20 minutes on the clock, the Hawks had the ball in the net, but the effort was ruled out due to offside, next Hawks defender Jamie Collins fired over, this was to be Collins last action in the game as he limped off injured, being replaced by Tony Taggart, the score reminded the same at the half time break, at the re-start the Hawks made one more change, with Guy Lopez Dacruz being replaced by the lively Shea Saunders, but just as Saunders was getting up to speed of the game the home side scored again, and it was Kennedy on the score sheet after being freed by Okay once more, with the keeper advance, Kennedy slipped the ball under Howells and in.

That ended the game, but the Hawks still had chances to get back into the came, the best falling to Carl Wilson-Denis, he just had Key to beat but the striker took to much time and Nathaniel Knight-Percival got a foot in to take the ball away.

Havant finally got the ball in the net, a corner kick was missed by the home side players and the ball hit defender Tom Jordon in the mid-drift and Jordan was able to bundle the ball over the line to give his side hope.

Chances fell to the home side, but no more goals came, Fitzroy Simpson was replaced by Brett Paote, but the changes couldn’t get the Hawks back into the game.

Histon : Key, Jackman, Okay , Hipperson, Mitchell-King, A Cambridge, Nightingale, Andrews, Kennedy, I Cambridge, Knight-Percival

Subs : Bloomfield, Vowden, Haniver, Roberts

Havant & Waterlooville: Howells, Annon, Byles, Collins, Jordan, Sharp , Lopaz Dacruz, Fowler , Wilson-Denis, Baptiste, Simpson

Subs : Harrison, Taggart, Saunders, Poate, Taylor

Referee : Mr D Brockwell (Northampton)

Attendance : 506

Star Man : Matt Mitchell - King - yet another solid performance, doesn't look out of place or troubled by the move up from the Ridgeons League.

Match Rating : 3/5

Make your own free website on Tripod.com