Histon V Hednesford Town

F.A.Cup 1st Round

Saturday 5th November 2005

The Glassworld Stadium, Bridge Road, Histon

Histon moved into the 2nd Round draw following 90 minutes of crisp passing football that ripped apart the Conference North opponents, Histon made changes to their starting eleven, with defender Colin Vowden taking his place on the bench, while Roscoe Hippeson joining Steve Jackman in the centre of defence, while upfront Ian Cambridge joined forces with Leon Gutzmore, goalkeeper Lance Key was passed fit before kick off following the knee injury he’d picked up in the defeat against Hayes seven days before.

Histon set the pace early on, with passing football that had been missing in so many games this season, Gutzmore looked to be in for a rough afternoon as he was being picked up by Hednesford defender Steve Anthrobus, but Gutzmore got the better of the defender time and time again, with Gutzmore linking well with partner Cambridge, the home side won an a 9th minute corner, up went defender Steve Jackman to add some height to the attack, and it was Jackman that won the ball with a header, but the effort was saved, but the keeper was only able to parry the ball into the patch of Jackman who smashed the ball into the net for two yards out.

While the lead was small the home side wasn’t going to sit back, Gutzmore saw a diving header go wide after the home side turned defence into attack, but at half time it was still 1 – 0 to the home side.

The second goal came just five minutes after the restart, a cross from Leon Gutzmore found the diving head of Ian Cambridge who scored from close range, on 53 minutes the game was all but over for Hednesford as the home side won yet another corner, once more Jackman joined the attack, and it was Jackman that added his second of the afternoon as he rose above everyone to head home.

The Pitman looked to have pulled a goal back, as Paul McMahon pounced on a cross, but the linesman ruled McMahon offside, but with 10 minutes left The Pitman was handed another chance to get on the score line, as the referee pointed to the spot, but Andy Bell watched his well struck shot kept out by keeper Key, with the game won there was still chance for the home side to add the fourth goal, a long throw into the area from Ada Cambridge was flicked on at the near post, Robbie Nightingale was able to slide in to slip the ball past Richard Brush.

The Stutes :

The Pitman : -

Histon; Key, Haniver, Okay, Hipperson, Jackmann, A Cambridge, Nightingale, Andrews, Gutzmore (Farrington), I Cambridge (Knight-Percival), Barker,

Subs Not Used; Vowden, Goddard, Hulyer (gk)

Booked : Nightingale

Hednesford Town; Brush, Brannan (Brindley), Branch, Adams, Teesdale, Williams, McMahan, Heath, Anthrobus (Marshall), Bell, Hunter

Subs Not Used; Beckett, Dyer, Biddle

Booked : Brannan

Referee; Mr S Procter - Green (Gainsborough)

Attendance : 1080

Star Man : Steve Jackman (Histon) - missed nothing all afternoon, deserved his goals

Match Rating 4/5

Make your own free website on