Make your own free website on
Histon 0 - 0 Newmarket Town

Saturday 11th October 2003

Paul Barber
Aaron Benstead
Louie Farrington
Matthrew Graham
Wayne Goddard
Mark Winstone  
Roscoe Hipperson
Mark Hatley
Colin Vowden
Darren Coe
Adrian Cambridge
Stephen Tuck  
Matt Haniver
Stuart Ogilvie
Neil Andrews
Lee Reed
James Rowe
James Bird
Ian Cambridge
Paul Stokes  
Jamie Barker
Alex Rhodes  
Neil Kennedy for 9
Vinnie Long
Steve Holden for 4
Jonathan Olive
Benny Murray for 10
Paul Jones
Peter Munns
Kevin Basher
Chris Tovey
Leigh Fallon
Darren Brockwell
Ass Referee
Marc Deans
Neil Hitch

The lunch kick off brought out fans from both sides, a crowd of 400 basked in the autumn sunshine.

An early free kick to Histon in the 7th minute saw the Jockey’s keeper, Aaron Benstead, scrambling across his goal and put the ball away for a corner, after Ada Cambridge had put the ball low around the wall and goal bound, James Rowe was next to go close, as he found himself unmarked in the box, but he put the ball over the bar from close range.

On 20 minutes a slip from Histon’s Louie Farrington let in Alex Rhodes, but as Rhodes entered the area keeper Paul Barber came out to save, as the play moved to the other end a last ditch clearance from the Jockeys saw the ball put out for a corner.

The home side’s next attack saw claims for a penalty kick turned down as the defender slipped onto the ball after pressure from Jamie Barker. Rowe was next to miss for the home side, but just before half time Histon won a corner, a the back post was Colin Vowden who out jumped every one to win the ball, but he could only watch as the ball hit the cross bar and fell to Ian Cambridge, but he couldn’t control his shot as the ball bounced over the bar.

A scrappy first half that saw Histon have the best chances but couldn’t find the final ball to unlock the Jockeys defence.

Right from the start of the second half Histon went on the attack and right away Rowe caused problems, as he went into the box he was stopped in his tracks, but as play went on the referee blew and pointed to the spot, after much gamesmanship Neil Andrews walked across and picked the ball up and placed it on the spot, only for the referee re-spot the ball, Andrews with a 100% record from the spot put the ball to the right of the keeper, but Benstead guessed right and saved and clear the rebound for a corner.

The game became more open, maybe the saved had lifted the Jockeys, but minutes later the game exploded into life once more, a challenge from behind from Alex Rhodes had players from both sides pushing and shoving each other, the challenge resulted in Rhodes being shown the yellow card, on 49 minutes the Jockeys Stuart Ogilvie saw a header saved by Barber.

Histon then had the ball into the back of the net, but the goal was disallowed for offside, on 56 minutes Ian Cambridge tasted Benstead, with a turn and chip from the edge of the area but Benstead got back to palm the ball over, on 63 minutes the Cambridge cousins linked well with Ian teeing up Ada whose raising drive clipped the outside of the post and away.

Yet again the officials played a major part in the game, which had the crowd smiling with some strange decisions; on 75 minutes Neil Andrews seemed to win the ball cleanly yet the referee blew for a free kick some 25 yards out, up stepped Newmarket’s Paul Shaw to curl the ball around the wall and wide of the goal.

Into the action came Neil Kennedy as he replaced James Rowe, Kennedy’s first taste of the action came as he picked up a yellow card, after he shielded the ball from two Newmarket players, as the ball went out for a throw in, on 82 minutes Newmarket’s Lee Reed was set free on the edge of the area, but he shot failed to test the keeper, right near the end Vowden saw yet another chance come off the woodwork, but the ball fell to quickly to Kennedy to make the most of the chance as he shinned the ball over the bar.