Make your own free website on
Newport (IOW) 1 - 1 Histon
Saturday 6th September 2003
Dr Martens League - Eastern Division
Joe McCormack   (c)
Lee Huyler
Ian Buckman
Louie Farrington
Adam Lang  
Wayne Goddard
Peter Tagg  
Roscoe Hipperson  
Jonathan Holmes
Colin Vowden
Simon Pilcher
Adrian Cambridge
Gareth Keeping  (1p)
Neil Coburn
Liam Gearing
Neil Andrews  (c)
Jamie O'Rouke
James Rowe   (1)
Daniel Hatcher
Neil Kennedy
Lee Chuoy
Jamie Barker
Ashley Wright for 5
Benny Murray
Mark Isaacson
Steve Holden
Paul O'Conner
Ian Cambridge
Alex Perry   for 11
Chris Tovey
Chris Bridges   for 9
Matt Haniver
Ass Referee
The fixture computer was kind to Histon and got the longest trip of the season out of the way early in the season, an early start saw the team set off for the ferry just after 8am, on the bus was Paul Barber, even through he was to watch from the side lines as he served his one match ban for his recent sending off against Banbury United.

As early as the 3rd minute, Wayne Goddard tested the home keeper, Joe McCormack, with a dipping, curling free kick from the outside of the box, but the keeper did well to palm away the ball for a corner, on 16 minutes a goal kick from Lee Huyler was headed back into the danger area by Histon's Neil Andrews, but the Islanders Liam Gearing was tackled by Colin Vowden just as Gearing was cueing up for a shot, many behind the goal of Hulyer appealed for a penalty, but the referee wasn’t having it, mach to the dismay of the home crowd, who made their feelings down to Vowden all afternoon.

On 27 minutes Histon added to their season’s goal tally, a free kick, one of many during the afternoon, was pumped into the far side of the area, Barker headed the ball back across, and James Rowe got in front of the defender to help the ball into the net.

On 36 minutes another free kick found Barker, but this time he headed the ball into the path of captain, Neil Andrews, but he failed to control the shot as the ball sailed over the bar.

The hardness of the pitch and the stiff breeze made the ball difficult to control for both sides as half time drew closer.

The start of the second half saw the home side come out quickly, pushing Histon back, only a last ditch tackle from Vowden prevented the home side drawing level, on 64 minutes Rowe’s pace found him pass the last two defenders, with just the advancing keeper to beat, he push the ball goal ward, but the ball slowly bounced past the post and out for a goal kick.

Chances fell to both sides, but the game was getting scrappy, with the referee playing a major part in a stop / start game, and on 80 minutes he played an even bigger part, Roscoe Hipperson looked to have won the ball, but the forward went down like he’d been shot, the referee blew and pointed to the spot, after much delay, Hipperson found himself in the note book for the foul, up stepped Gareth Keeping , Hulyer guessed right but the ball bounced of his legs a slowly rolled over the line and in.

This set up a fast last 10 minutes, with chances falling to Histon’s, Farrington and Kennedy, but the home side also saw Hulyer tip the ball over the bar for a corner.