Make your own free website on

Newmarket Town v Histon Reserves
Tuesday 15th October 2002
Jewson League - Premier Division
Report by MArk Taylor, Cambridge Evening News

Jones' late wonder goal sinks Jockeys

A wonder goal in the wet from Gareth Jones gave Histon reserves a 1-0 win in injury time at Newmarket in the Jewson League, Premier Division.

The midfielder picked the ball up in stoppage time, 35 yards out, and skipped past two challenges before curling an effort with the outside of his right foot into Andy Oxborough's right-hand corner.

But an enjoyable game was overshadowed by a serious injury to Jockeys' striker Paul Shaw, which caused a 25-minute delay as the player was taken to Bury hospital.

Shaw was injured in the 79th minute when his right leg got stuck in the mud trying to connect with a Kevin Sobiechowski cross in the box.

Newmarket physio Bryan Jones was called on to the pitch as the player lay in agony and an ambulance was called straight away.

Shaw was eventually taken to hospital in the back of chairman Alfie Collen's car with what is believed to be ligament damage.

Newmarket boss Chris Nunn said: "Paul's a good lad and a good player. My main concern is how long is he going to be out of work and is it going to cause him any problems money-wise."

Histon manager Nacer Relizani added: "I am still concerned about him and hope he will be all right because at the end of the day it is only a game of football."

In the pouring rain, it was Histon who went closest to scoring early on when Andy Mee's long-range free-kick was flicked on but Gary Walker could not steer his header on target at the far post.

The visitors made all the early running, with Walker and Wayne Goddard peppering the goal from outside the box, and on 18 minutes Sobiechowski cleared a Walker effort off the line when Oxborough looked beaten.

Newmarket responded to the scare by going straight up the other end and having their best effort of the match saved brilliantly by Lee Hulyer.

Shaw had risen highest at the back post to head Sobiechowski's free kick down but Hulyer held on to the ball at point-blank range on his line.

The hosts were back defending as a team on 27 minutes when Goddard found space in the box with Oxborough off his line but the midfielder's shot was kept out by Darren O'Leary. The defences were on top for much of the half, with Histon hot-shot Benny Murray kept quiet and Newmarket's, Shaw and Stokes, getting no change from the visitors.

In the second half, both sides carved out chances with Shaw having the best opportunity on 71 minutes, but he spooned his shot high in the air when he should have done better.

After Shaw's injury, Sobiechowski forced Hulyer into a good save at his near post and, as the game looked like finishing 0-0, Jones conjured up a piece of magic to break the deadlock.

Relizani said: "It was a hard game. They had half-chances and we had half-chances but at the end of the day it was a fantastic goal.

"When he (Jones) picked up the ball I was just telling him to go but you don't think at that time (that he is going to score). I thought 0-0 would be a fair result, I must admit, but we needed the three points after the last two defeats."

Nunn said: "I didn't think there was a lot to choose between the two teams. The goal came from nowhere and he caught it right."

Nunn added that he felt they deserved a draw but said: "I thought we deserved a draw against Maldon (they lost 1-0 in the last five minutes) but you do not get what you deserve."

Newmarket Town: Oxborough, Abbot, Winstone, Hatley, Coe, Crawley, Sobiechowski (Brown, 88), Claydon, Stokes (Tuck, 77), Shaw (Holmes, 79), O'Leary.
Histon Res: Hulyer, Jeffery, Mee (McMurray, 26), Toombs, Goddard, Jones, Rush, Rowe, Walker, Murray, King (Nedimovic, 77).