Histon 3 - 0 Sittingbourne
Dr Martens League - Eastern Division
Saturday 3rd May 2003
Lee Hulyer
Lee Hook
Louie Farrington
Jamie Coyle
Jamie Barker
Paul Campbell
Graham Rush
Clint Gooding
Wayne Goddard
James Campbell
Adie Cambridge
Ben Taylor (c)
Scott Andrews
Andrew Drury
Neil Andrews (c)(1)
Keiran Marsh
Ian Cambridge
Jon Neal
Peter Munns (1)
Tyrone King
James Rowe (1)
Corrie Griffin
Gareth Jones
Roy Guiver for 11
Mark Beeney
Neil Coburn for 7
Bradley Spice for 3
Andy Mee
Neil Miller for 4
Benny Murray for 3
Michael Blackledge
Ass Referee
Chris Giles
Andrew Green

The end of the 2002/2003 season saw a visit to Bridge Road by fellow mid table side Sittingbourne, missing from the starting line up was striker Neil Kennedy and goal keeper Paul Barber, back came James Rowe and Jamie Barker, while Scott Andrews made his first DML start, along side brother Neil.

Histon started on the attack, having scored 96 goals already this season, could they reach 100 ?.

On 3 minutes James Rowe tested Lee Hook in the Brickies goal with a stinging drive which was palmed over for a corner. The next action came on 16 minutes when Jon Neal got the better of Wayne Goddard, but the end shot failed to test Lee Hulyer.

On 25 minutes Sittingbourne should have taken the lead, Lee Hulyer saved but the ball became free, Histon half cleared the ball away, but only to Paul Campbell, some how with the goal empty he found the post with his shot.

With Adie Cambridge having a free role in mid field, it was Cambridge that had three shots on target, but done really tested Hook, on 32 minutes a lucky bounce saw Cambridge pick the loose ball up inside the area, having turned one defender, and Hook advancing, Cambridge’s shot was blocked, the rebound found Rowe, but his shot was high over the bar.

But just 4 minutes later, Histon were one up, Ian Cambridge flicked on a freekick on the edge of the area, Rowe picked the ball up wide, after playing a 1 – 2 with Scott Andrews, Rowe flashed the ball into the area, Hook saved with his feet, but following up was Neil Andrews to score from close range.

Moments later Rowe had a chance to double the lead, having left the defender standing still, Rowe put his shot across the goal, beating the keeper but not the far post.

The second half started with Sittingbourne making a change off came, Corrie Griffin on came Roy Guiver, and it was Guiver that looked lively up front, firing a shot over the bar early on.

Jamie Barker had a chance to double the home sides lead, but Hook again saved well, on 54 minutes Hulyer was once more in the thick of the action, but in 71 minutes the lead was doubled, and what a goal it was.

Just inside the Histon half Ian Cambridge picked up the ball, he got away from Paul Campbell, looked up and floated the ball over the back four, ghosting behind them was Peter Munns, Munn plucked the ball out the air to lift the ball over the advancing Hook and into the empty net, the goal brought the crowd in the crowd to its feet.

But before anyone got back into their seats, Histon had scored again, this time the pace of Rowe took him into the right hand side of the area, once inside a low drive into bottom corner.

With the goal tally on 99, Histon went looking for more goals, only Hook denied them, the best one from Adie Cambridge, with Benny Murray failing to follow up the rebound.

Make your own free website on Tripod.com