Make your own free website on

Histon 2 - 3 Stamford
Dr Martens League - Eastern Division
Saturday 19th April 2003
Paul Barber
Ludik Michalik
Graham Rush
Warren Donald
Neil Coburn
Andy Peaks (c)
Wayne Goddard
Nick Ashby (1)
Louie Farrington
Robbie Blowers
Adie Cambridge
Robbie Maddox
Chris Tovey
Gareth Pritchard
Neil Andrews (c)
Danny Steadman
James Rowe
Kevin Byrne (1)
Neil Kennedy
Kevin Slinn (1)
Jamie Barker (2)
Kevin Ainslie
Gareth Jones
Malcolm Ndekwe for 2
Peter Munns
Matthew Green for 10
Ian Cambridge for 3
Chris Davies
Benny Murray
Richard Bailey for 7
Lee Huyler for 1
Michael George
Ass Referee
Will Hardie
John Minckley
Histon - Tovey (foul) A Cambridge (dissent) Rowe (foul)
Stamford - Peaks (dissent)
On a rock hard and bumpy pitch and a strong wind, playing the ball along the ground was a difficult task. Histon manager Steve Fallon kept to the side that had ran Cambridge City so close on Monday night, this meant the return of Ian Cambridge was only to the bench, Paul Barber kept his place in goal, despite not being 100% fit.

Stamford made the short trip along the A1/A14 sitting in 3rd place, still with an outside chance of promotion, a win was a must, while Histon looked for a good run to finish the season. With 6 points up for grabs over the weekend a lot was to play for.

A mistake from Adie Cambridge allowed Stamford the first sight on goal, with Danny Steadman testing Paul Barber for the first time, momentís later Stamford had two men unmarked and free at the back post, one of them, Gareth Pritchard sent in a drive with Louie Farrington deflected over the bar for a corner.

Stamford started the better of the two sides, but the pitch was making control of the ball was difficult for both sides, but on 16 minutes Stamford found themselves one nil down, as James Rowe headed into the area he was bundled over, ďPENALTYĒ, Rowe picked up self up and dusted of the dust to put the ball on the spot, the giant keeper Stamford keeper made the goal look small, Rowe walked up and hit the ball to the right corner, but the keeper saved, from the rebound Histonís Graham Rush was first to react and put the ball back along the face of the goal, sliding in was Jamie Barker to stab the ball in from close range.

Just moments later Histon should have been two up, a slide rule pass found the running of Neil Coburn, as he cut inside the defence, keeper Luidek Milhalik, raced out to close the angle down and save for a corner.

On 35 minutes Histon could count themselves lucky not to conceded a goal, a back pass to Barber, didnít look to trouble the keeper, yet the ball went direct to the Stamford forward, but the attempt at goal was well wide of the target, this was Barberís last action of the game, on came Lee Hulyer. Just 3 minutes later Hulyer had his first touch of the ball, picking it out of the back of the net.

Moments before half time the home side won a corner, Stamford headed the ball down, first to swing a leg at the ball was Wayne Goddard, but his shot crashed off the underside of the bar and out.

A needless handball by Neil Kennedy, just on the left of area, up stepped to Nick Ashby to fire the ball in, the ball went past everyone and found the bottom corner of the goal.

Histon came out for the second half brighter, but faded soon after, two long range efforts from Adie Cambridge had different results, the first found the arms of the keeper, the second had the keeper scrambling across the goal to punch away for a corner. On 54 minutes there was a touch of magic, Farrington headed down a goal kick to Barker, just outside the centre circle, with little effort, Barker shot towards goal, the keeper stood no chance as the ball flew in the net.

On 75 minutes Stamford drew level once more, the pace of the Stamford forwards had Histon stretched on more than one occasion, and it was cross from the right that found the head of Kevin Slinn who put the ball past Hulyer.

Just two minutes later Stamford where in front for the first time, the pace of Danny Steadman found Kevin Byrne, Byrne slipped the ball past Hulyer for the third goal.

Histon had no answer to the third goal, and it was yet another close game between the two sides.