Histon V Sutton United

Nationwide Conference - South

18th March 2006

The Glassworld Stadium, Bridge Road, Histon

Histon recalled striker Danny Bloomfield to the starting line up with Neil Kennedy dropping down to the bench,with Matty Haniver failing to shrug off a rib injury picked up in the midweek win against Thurrock, which saw Roscoe Hipperson recalled into the starting eleven.

On had pitch and with a strong wind blowing down the pitch, it was going to be a game that needed crisp passing moves from both sides, and from the off it was HIston that looked the brighter of the two sides with the recalled Bloomfield looking bright and dangerous, on the first attack he slipped the in to captain Neil Andrews, but United keeper Carl Emberson saved well, the next attack saw Bloomfield freed Jamie Barker, but Barkerís shot looped over the keeper and wide of the target, Sutton looked quick on the break as the played with the strong wind at their backs, but to many times the ball would over run, Barker turned provider for Bloomfield on the next attack, again Emberson saving his side with a save from point blank.

Unitedís Matt Gray was the first to taste the home keeper, as Gray cut in from the wing into the area, his shot was saved by Key as the home defence cleared the rebound, with 20 minutes on the clock the goal that looked to becoming for the home side came, and again Bloomfield was in the middle of the action, his cross was knock in and out of the box, but as Histon saw a tame header heading towards the keepers hands in nipped Bloomfield to glance a header passed Emberson, Histon looked goal scorers on each attack but as half time came there was no further goals.

On 52 minutes Sutton helped the home side, a mis-placed back pass saw Emberson in trouble as the keeper could only clear for a home throw, the home side doubled the lead from the resulting throw as deep cross after Barker and Ian Cambridge combined to cross the ball to find Robbie Nightingale, who in turn slipped the ball to Ada Cambridge whose shot from inside the area found the roof of the net.

With Emberson at times playing a sweeping role on the edge of the area Ian Cambridge chanced his luck on two occasions to lob the keeper, but on both times the ball bounced wide of the post, the next chance fell to Unitedís Luke Cornwell, who got the better on the bounce and defender Roscoe Hipperson, but Cornwellís shot went over Key and wide, with the game nearing the end, Histon added the third on 82 minutes, a shot from Kennedy looped up of the keeper and into the 6 yard area, a rush of players from sides saw captain Neil Andrews get the important touch to head the ball over the line to complete the afternoons scoring.

Histon : Key, Jackman, Okay , Hipperson, Mitchell-King, A Cambridge (Coulson), Nightingale, Andrews, Bloomfield, I Cambridge (Kennedy), Barker

Subs : Coulson, Knight Ė Percival, Kennedy, Vowden, Haniver

Sutton United : Emberson, Palmer, Gonsalves, Scarborough, Blackwell, Gordon, Gray, Honey, Cornwell (Adams), Boosey, Akaumoah

Subs : Watson, Rivers, Adams, Wilson

Referee : Mr Wayne Barratt (Worcestershire)

Attendance : 409

Star Man : Gordon (Sutton United)

Match Rating :3/5

Make your own free website on Tripod.com